Why Have Someone Get Rid of Lead Paint?

If you live in a home that was built after 1978, then you may not have to worry about the chances of lead paint. However, if you live in an older home, then this can still be a real concern. The reason that lead paint is no longer used to paint homes is that it has been found to be so harmful to people, right along with things like asbestos, lead pipes, and other building materials that were once used to build homes but that are now no longer allowed to be used. Read on to learn about what you can do if your house has lead paint. 

You can have lead paint removed

If you do have an older home and are concerned it has led paint, you can have the paint tested. If it registers as lead paint, then you can have someone come out to remove the lead paint and paint the walls with fresh, safe paint. The process of having the lead paint removed from your home is called "lead paint abatement". The reason for removing it is to make sure you don't have lead still on the walls since lead can lead to health problems and things like lead poisoning. For more information on lead paint abatement, contact a company like Colfax Corporation.

Don't try to remove it yourself

It can be tempting to remove the lead paint yourself so you don't have to have strangers coming in and out of our home; however, you are going to have more exposure to the lead in the paint this way than if you had just left it alone on the walls. The lead in the paint will become airborne once you disturb it, and you will breathe it in. While you may be wearing a mask to prevent this, there are certain kinds of masks that are used for this purpose. There are also many other steps taken by professionals to protect themselves and to prevent the lead from spreading all around your home during the process.

Lead paint poses future risks if not removed

While the lead paint on your home may be in good shape and you may wonder why you need to have it removed at all, it is the future risks that are problematic. When the paint finally starts to chip and peel, then there is an issue. Also, if a toddler chews on the corner of the wall—toddlers do strange things like this—then they will be exposed to the lead. This is why it is better to be safe than sorry and have the problem taken care of now.


Share